Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Neccessity for More Depth

After realizing I did not have enough depth I felt was necessary to provide a good, solid presentation, I began to look further into Hindu women in India, and also to examine Afghanistan women under Taliban rule. In India, many laws such as the Dowry Prevention Act and Sati Act have attempted to aid the suffering of women. However, these laws are often ineffective, as local governments do not properly file and enforce the crime that is taken place. Also, in dealing with Sati, many different ideals arise, for some women actually believe in Sati due to their strict religious devotion. On the other hand, some Hindu women are not as devout, and do not believe in this sacrificial suicide.
Additionally, I looked deeper into the oppression women faced after the Afghan Civil War, an event we were able to study in class. Immediately after the Taliban were able to take power, they instituted a gender apartheid which eliminated incredible amounts of freedom in the lives of Afgahni women. Although the Taliban are Islamic fundamentalists, many of the practices they used were not actually outlined in Islam. Therefore, I was able to find a lot of information I will be able to present tommorow. As Will and I continue to piece together the way we will present, I am becoming increasingly comfortable with the information I have studied.

No comments: