Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sex Slavery

For the final portion of our project on Women's Rights, I have chosen to focus on "Sex Slavery" and the trafficking of women. "Sex Slavery" is a term used to describe forced prostitution for the profit of traffickers. The global sex trade has been prevalent since WWII and has increased in the past decade. Trafficking is prevalent in areas where women experience extreme poverty and are coerced into the prostitution as a means of creating income. However, as prostitution is an illicit line of work of most countries, the women are often taken advantage of, abused, and frequent become slaves. The risk of death by disease, homicide, and suicide is incredibly high for these women.
This topic ties in to the "Feminization of Poverty" and marital rights of women; accordingly, I plan on studying these topics to gain a full understanding of "Sex Slavery" around the world.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Will,
After discussing this topic I think it will be great for our presentation. Just wondering, would you still like to do the Google Earth type of presentation? I feel it would do us well once again if we could also add some sort of handout to spark discussion.

Will Schlesinger said...

I'm glad you like it. I'd love to use google earth for part of the presentation, but I think we should probably do something like an interpretive dance for the rest.

Ms. Voss said...

FYI we have some great books on slavery occurring around the world in modern times. If you need to fill our your works cited. Hint. Hint. Come see me.